What follows was my attempt to capture the content of the southern NH roundtable discussion on open source software, held at the Manchester City Library. I may add more to these notes in the future, but at least you’ll have a little idea of what was discussed. Thanks to Lichen for facilitating this roundtable in Manchester and to Bobbi who facilitated the north country discussion.
- WordPress plugin, download it into plugins directory and enable.
- Acts as a blog-like interface for content from the ILS.
- Availability info for library materials is available for a library using III (Innovative Interfaces ILS), see Plymouth State implementation.
- Using WordPress dashboard to access the needed plugin
- Example implementation at Tamworth Library, http://tamworthlibrary.org/
- Book discussion via comments on the blog
- Videoconferenced with Bobbi Slossar at the "North Country" open source roundtable discussion using Skype. Skype is free.
- Open source operating system, GUI implementation for Linux
- Free accounts
- From one interface, you can instant message with colleagues who may have different IM clients, for example Yahoo IM, Google Chat, AOL Instant Messaging, and more.
- Meebo rooms: create a private or public IM room for committee work or chatting with librarians elsewhere in the building
- IM widgets on library web pages, allows instant messaging directly from a webpage.
- Online photo sharing
- Flickr badge to put on one’s website, example, Manchester City Library home page
- Microblogging tool, limited number of characters in a post
- Create a Twitter account for your library, include stuff that doesn’t really merit a blog post, but might be fun to make available nevertheless. Little tips, etc.
- Install a Twitter badge on the library website.
- Collect bookmarks online and have access to them from anywhere
- New Firefox extension provides your deliciious bookmarks in a convenient sidebar along with numerous sorting options
Joomla & Drupal
- Both are open source content management systems that enable you and multiple staff to update content without needing to go through a webmaster.
- NHLA-ITS is in the process of building a website for the Richards Free Library using Joomla.