Storytelling for Children Conference at Keene State College: Why are Stories Powerful? Family Stories and Early Education
April 12, 2008
This conference has a focus for Early Childhood as well as one for the deaf community; interpreters will be signing.
Keynote: Laura Simms
Laura will explore the power of narrative to heal and transform us all. Telling her own inspiring family story about her son, Ishmael Beah (author of A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier), Laura will help us understand the process of reciprocal listening and how it empowers our youth to strengthen their lives.
Also choice of 2 workshops + storytelling session featuring the day’s speakers. Reasonable price and student discount.
- “Making Fairy Tales with Children: Finding the Hidden Story” – Laura Simms
- “Unseen Borders: Stories in Sign and Voice” – K. R. Glickman & Tony Toledo
- “Story Bridges: Story, Community, and Cross-Cultural Communication” – Norah Dooley
- “Bodystories:– Mime and Movement for Storytellers” – Motoko
- “Signing Your Life Away! Sharing Your Story the Deaf Way” – K. R. Glickman
- “The Magic of Storytelling to Preschoolers” – John Porcino
- Tony Toledo – Learning How to Tell a Story
$90 covers all of the day’s events / $45.00 for students.
Event website: www.keene.edu/events/storytelling
Contact: (413)398-4484 or firstname.lastname@example.org