Description and Purpose
The Ann Geisel Award of Merit is given to an individual, group or organization that has made significant contributions to the New Hampshire library community.
The Ann Geisel Award of Merit recognizes librarians, libraries, and other individuals or organizations that have contributed to the New Hampshire Library Association (NHLA) or the New Hampshire library community. Past Ann Geisel Award of Merit recipients have improved all New Hampshire libraries through their efforts as library professionals, by providing library services or advocating for library issues within and beyond the state level.
This award is named in the memory of Ann Geisel (1947-1999). Ann personified “distinguished service to the New Hampshire library community.” In addition to serving for many years as the Director of the Peterborough Town Library, she served the New Hampshire library community through her service as a member of NHLA, the Nubanusit Library Coop, and the NH State Library Advisory Council, including a term as its Chair. She was active in regional and national library issues as a member of the Advisory Board of the Northeast Document Conservation Center, the American Library Association, and the New England Library Association.
Individuals, institutions, and organizations may be considered for this award. Significant contributions to the New Hampshire library community include, but are not limited to:
- Recognizing NHLA members for significant achievements or overall career accomplishments
- Recognizing New Hampshire libraries for outstanding service to their community
- Recognizing individuals and/or organizations who have been extremely supportive of NHLA or New Hampshire libraries
- Recognizing library advocates at the local, state or national level
The award is presented at the NHLA annual business meeting. The award is granted on the vote of the Executive Committee based upon candidates recommended by the Awards Committee. Recommendations to the Executive Board will be made by unanimous vote of the Awards Committee.
Please submit a letter of nomination and two letters of support for the candidate to the committee by the application deadline. In the letter of nomination include a statement explaining why this individual or organization qualifies for this award. Please list specific activities and accomplishments and for individuals, include memberships and offices held in professional organizations and any honors received.
Submit all nomination materials to:
NHLA Awards Committee
c/o Diane Lynch
Laconia Public Library
695 Main St
Laconia, NH 03246
- 2012: Bobbi Slossar, Technology Resources Librarian, NH State Library
- 2011: Annie Donahue, Director, UNH-Manchester Library
- 2010: unknown
- 2009: Andrea Thorpe, Director, Richards Free Library, Newport
- 2008: Deborah Ross Wilcox, Associate Dean of the Faculty, Southern New Hampshire University
- 2007: Mary Ann List, Director, Portsmouth Public Library
- 2006: No recipient
- 2005: Catherine Redden, Director, Lane Memorial Library, Hampton
- 2004: Shirley Adamovich, State Librarian, NH State Library
- 2003: Sherm Pridham, Director, Portsmouth Public Library
- 2002: No recipient
- 2001: Fran Wiggin, Director, Bedford Public Library