NHLA is a professional association of library personnel, trustees, and library supporters whose purpose is:
- To advance the interests of its members through advocacy on library issues and increasing public awareness of library service.
- To support the professional development of its members.
- To foster communication and encourage the exchange of ideas among its members.
- To promote participation in the association and its sections.
What does NHLA do for New Hampshire libraries and librarians?
Support – NHLA members receive the benefit of NHLA’s advocacy efforts in the state legislature, the Governor’s office, and other areas of state government to assure that New Hampshire’s libraries
- receive necessary support and resources from the New Hampshire State Library (such as ILL van service and free or reduced charge access to online database subscriptions),
- have important local library issues recognized on the state level when necessary.
Education – NHLA offers its members scholarships and interest-free loans for graduate study as well as mini-grants for professional development. Members also receive reduced registration rates for a variety of professional development opportunities throughout the year, designed to help library staff at all levels keep up with the ever-changing world of information science and maintain the excellence that New Hampshire residents have come to expect from their libraries.
Information – NHLA members receive regular updates on national and state news and information that affects New Hampshire’s libraries through the NHLA web site, blogs, and other electronic communications from the seven NHLA sections (Academic, CHILIS, IT, READS, Small Libraries, YALS, and URBANS).
Growth – NHLA members have access to numerous opportunities for networking and involvement through NHLA sections. These opportunities to plan meetings, develop educational programming, evaluate trends, and develop resources for other NHLA members help prepare library staff for leadership roles within their own libraries.
NHLA is the voice for libraries in New Hampshire. Please consider adding your voice to our current membership of 500+ individuals. For more information, please contact any member of the executive board.
Please also notify a board member if your email or mailing address changes.